NISUS Archives

March 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Brownie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:05:17 +1000
Something on-topic for a change!

I have a style set up called "Numbered example", and it includes a
numbered list style. I want to keep the numbers incrementing through a
chapter, but reset at the next chapter. Usually, that's as simple as
choosing "Continue Numbering from Previous" when setting the style for a
new example.

The problem comes when I add an example in the middle of a chapter. It
gets the correct number, but subsequent examples do not automatically
update their numbers. The only way I've found to make them update so far
is to toggle each block of examples with "Restart Numbering" and
"Continue Numbering from Previous". Tedious and error-prone, so perfect
for a computer to do for me. Is there a better way?

And on an unrelated topic, but part of the whole document I'm working
on, is there a way to specify that a particular style (in my case, the
chapter heading) starts on a new page? If I put a manual page break at
the start of the paragraph, the number goes missing. If I put it before
the paragraph, then I get a blank line at the top of the page. I can do
it in InDesign, but can NWP do it?

John
--
John Brownie, [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
Summer Institute of Linguistics      | Mussau-Emira language, Mussau Is.