FMPRO-L Archives

January 2011, Week 4

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoff Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:21:10 -0500
(forgive me I'm using Outlook, which won't properly format replies in plain
text that I can find...)

Gary Scott asked:

"I have two Filemaker applications that are running on Filemaker Pro V6
Unlimited.  Both applications are setup to allow web access.  I am NOT using
instant web publishing.

I would like to upgrade to newest version of Filemaker and have a couple of
questions.

1.  What flavor of FileMaker 11 do I need for web access?"

Regular Filemaker will serve a few web clients as it always has. For any
real multi-user web access you will want FileMaker Server Advanced. If you
have FileMaker Unlimited, there is no real item like that now, you'll have
to get server.

"2.  Will my data base files convert from FileMaker Pro V6 to FileMaker Pro
V11 just by opening them in FileMaker 11?"

Convert they will. But I doubt "Convert" is entirely accurate here. It won't
be like converting .fp3 to fp5 was. Depending on the level of complexity of
the solution, what kind of "tricks" were used that won't convert properly,
things like that. There's a chance it will convert just fine. I'm an
optimist btw.

"3.  I understand that for web access FileMaker no longer user HTML.  I am a
novice when it comes to HTML and have no experience in any other web access
language.  It there a way to convert my current HTML files to what the
language the new version of FileMaker reguires."

Now I'm wondering if I'm getting the question right. Perhaps you mean your
solution uses CDML (Claris Dynamic Markup Language), which indeed, is no
longer used. If that is the case, then I think you will need some
professional assistance porting that over. But FileMaker "uses" HTML better
than ever, as far as access goes.

"In general, my question is, can a novice like me easily convert my
Filemaker
6 web based solution to Filemaker 11?"

Honestly, it's unlikely. Well the "easy" part in any case. But if you do
intend to upgrade, then you will need the new filemaker in any case. It
can't hurt to try, can it? It will convert your files, and then you will see
what the problems are, and learn quite a bit I bet. Then, if you are close,
perhaps this list can assist you with some issues, and certainly point you
to those that will take your work for a reasonable fee.

Geoff