FMPRO-L Archives

January 2011, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Tim Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 07:53:06 +1100
On 11 January 2011 07:34, Lee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> As a matter of interest how do you use the button/tab order option you suggested without using the mouse when a user is half way through

Short answer: you don't. You provide a keyboard shortcut for the
scripted button which can be invoked at any point in the data entry.

On 11 January 2011 07:34, Richard S. Russell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> There are a couple of minor drawbacks to the use of the keyboard shortcuts that come with the "Scripts" menu

That's true Richard, but I don't rely on the Scripts menu for keyboard
shortcuts: I use FMP Advanced's ability to create custom menus and
assign my own keyboard shortcuts. There's still no support for f-keys
(feature request please!) but most other keys are available. On a Mac,
Command is required plus any combination of Shift and Option so
there's plenty of scope for logical keystrokes if you plan carefully.

(Aside: I'm a very keyboard-centric user myself, which is why I've
always taken the time to create custom menus and keyboard shortcuts.
My problem has generally been that I see users still relying on the
mouse after I've given them a much quicker way to work!)

Tim Mansour Certified FileMaker 10 Developer
Neologica Print & Promotions ABN 63 904 335 408
PO Box K1163 : Haymarket NSW 1240 : Australia
Email [log in to unmask] : Mobile 0405 500 846