UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2010, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Upper Valley Birders <[log in to unmask]>
From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:00:22 -0400
Around 5 PM today (July 28), a phone call from Ed Hack, who was at
Pompy, alerted me to the presence of shorebirds there. Ed and I
overlapped in our time at Pompy. He had to leave first, and I departed
later after light began to fail with the arrival of rain in the area.
The following counts from Pompy represent a combination of Ed's
observations and mine, with the total numbers representing the highest
counts of numbers of individuals seen for each species by either Ed or
me or both of us. The water level at Pompy this evening was the lowest
I have seen for several months.

Birds at Pompy on the evening of July 28, 2010:

Mallard   5 east of the I-91 overpasses; one hen with 7 ducklings to
the west of the overpasses
Hooded Merganser    5
Kiilldeer   2
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Spotted Sandpiper  3
Least Sandpiper  4

Other species at Pompy this evening included a Belted Kingfisher, an
Eastern Kingbird, American Crows (4), Barn Swallows (10), an American
Robin, and an estimated 25 Red-winged  Blackbirds. No Cliff Swallows
were seen, but at least two nest chambers remain.

Elsewhere in Norwich, Ed saw 2 Great Blue Herons along Route 5 to the
north of Butternut Lane; later, I saw only one Great Blue there.

Backyard highlights earlier today here in Norwich village included a
Red-breasted Nuthatch, a Carolina Wren, two Rose-breasted Grosbeaks,
and two Purple Finches.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT