UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Upper Valley Birders <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Robert Z. Norman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2010 17:18:58 -0400
inline
On Saturday morning, May 29, the weekly Hanover Conservation Council bird trip
went to the Mink Brook Natural Area east of Route 10. Near the end of our trip
we heard a vireo giving a few short phrases. At first glace I saw its bluish head,
and thought it was a blue-headed vireo. But good looks at it showed it was a warbling
vireo. However, its vocalizations, though not many, were in character like those
of a blue-headed or red-eyed, or any other vireo but a warbling vireo.

Sibley's description of the song of the warbling vireo is like the one we are
all familiar with. However, on the page showing the yellow-throated vireo he writes,
"Song in  vireos is learned. There are numerous records of Yellow-throated singing
like a Blue-headed, and vice versa; presumably the same pehnomenon occurs with
other species as well and should be considered when identifyhing birds by sound."
Could this bird have leared a song so different from the usual warbling vireo
song?

Another suggestion was that it might be a female.

The bird was on Brook Road between 0.1 and 0.2 miles  from Route 10.

Bob Norman