BAHASA Archives

May 2010

BAHASA@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Waruno Mahdi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indonesian language list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2010 11:19:56 +0200
Great big thanks to all of you who responded.
My problem had been to gloss the name of a foundation that was
set up under the Sarekat (Dagang) Islam in 1913, called

           _Krido-Mardi-Kismo_.

What I managed to locate in dictionaries was:

   _krida_ 'action, motion', and
   _kisma_ 'soil, earth'.

but I was very uncertain about _mardi_.

With your help now, I guess the name of the foundation could be
translated as

    'movement for enlightenment of the motherland'.

(assuming krida=gerak[an], mardi=[pen]cerdas[an], kisma=tanah[air])

If you see any mistakes here, please do let me know.

Thanks once more for the many responses.

Aloha,
Waruno