BAHASA Archives

May 2010

BAHASA@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Indonesian language list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2010 20:38:26 +1200
the national language plays important functions in politics and culture in both malaysia and indonesia. in this case, the blanket cultural hegemony that "science" seeks to exercise falters in the face of discourses of national survival and identity. here domestic academics experience a clash of cultures between the demands of authoritarian scientific culture and the scholar's ethnic self identity under the umbrella of the national myth.

personally, i'm much more uncomfortable with retention of the orientalist, indo-european, german-created name for indonesia than with the emotions surrounding naming rights to a shared language.

tim