BAHASA Archives

May 2010

BAHASA@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Uli Kozok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indonesian language list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2010 22:05:36 -1000
You're right, David. We have this two extremes on both ends. Indonesians who
insist that their language being called "Bahasa Indonesia" and not
"Indonesian" and native speakers of English, and apparently some Germans
too, who think that the name of the language is bahasa. A third variant I
encounter all the time is "Bahasa Indonesian".

When I thought of an appropriate name for this mailing list I wanted to
avoid all reference to Indonesian as this list was initially intended to be
a mailing list focusing on Malay language related issues including all Malay
dialects not only Indonesian. But then some people wrongly associate "Malay"
exclusively with Malaysia. In order to avoid this dilemma and to keep the
list as open as possible I chose bahasa as the name of the list.

--
Dr. Uli Kozok
Associate Professor