BAHASA Archives

May 2010

BAHASA@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Indonesian language list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2010 14:22:50 +1200
Hi Waruno. My understanding is that the word arose first among the British in what would become Malaysia and then spread from there. Have you come across a study of the term? I'm interested by your explanation, especially the idea that "bahasa" was originally meant to indicate an elevated or better form of the language than the speakers themselves could produce. This sounds a bit like the cara/basa distinction in Javanese.

tim