UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2009, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
cynthia crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
cynthia crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:34:01 -0400
Playing catch-up here. I DO send weekly sightings to "Backyard Birding" too.

Have had a flock or 10+/_ Evening Grosbeaks here since the weekend. Before
that, only a few females  a week previous. This flock seems determined to
eat all the seeds I can muster in one day!

Also noted- first sighting of Brown Creeper since last fall. I know they
stick around but haven't seen any all winter till now.
Last night a huge Tom Turkey wandered by talking to himself, falling in
footprint holes, and gobbling up seen and suet remnants.
Visited the site in Lebanon on Dulac St. where 2 weeks ago where a pair of
Buffleheads were reported. I saw a Hooded Merganser pair- I wonder if there
is some confusion there. No sightings since for me. Just a lot of Mallards,
Black Ducks and crosses. (Also seen behind Lebanon College-both flocks are
tame -come looking for food).

regular visitors in my yard for the last month and mostly all winter:

Downy 1F, 1M
Hairy 1F 1M
BJay-4-6
Chickadee 15
TTmouse 3-4
RB Nuthatch 2-3
WB Nuthatch 2-3
Pine Siskin now only occasional. Have had flocks up to 23
Purple Finch scarce -1-2 now. Had 4-6 earlier this winter.
Redpolls gone- had 14 March 1st.
Goldfinch various- males are half molted into brilliant yellow. average
about 5-9
Mourning Doves 2-4
Pileated Woodpecker 1 male seen 2/1
Ravens 2-3 seen/heard throughout the winter
Ruffed Grouse at least 2
Note: saw 1 Ruffed Grouse in a tree in Norwich, Beaver Meadow Rd. eating
fruit.
I think it is a Gray morph? Took some photos
Have also seen Grouse "Houses"- holes in the snow they dive into and burst
out of when you get too close.

I am trying to keep a record of sightings on my PBase site. You can see the
grouse here:
http://www.pbase.com/creaturekinships

 and other birds- most  are in the Gallery "Vermont Birds Through the
Seasons". I have a lot more to add so this is an on-going record. Not always
the best photos, but a record of them anyway, along with some interesting
behaviors.

Cindy Crawford
Norwich, Vt.

--
Creature Kinships and Natural Affinities
Animal and Nature Paintings, Portraits and Prints