UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2008, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:37:41 -0400
I believe this was my 10th anniversary of my hikes up Monadnock Mtn !  (That
is not Mt. Monadnock).

This wonderful mtn is in the Northeast Kngdom of VT... and rather close to
Canada. I have been doing a census on the mtn for 10 years.... if you are at
all interested in seeing a very lovely part of VT (and NH).... and like
hiking... with spectacular views !!!! of Canada, the CT River valley and
viable agriculture, you can see Dixville Notch and some of the northern
Whites...etc !!!

AND.... the birds are great !  (list to follow)  on a good year the are
Bicknell's Thrush (none for me this year).  And... the Kingdom Corps just
finished a 4 year project.... the firetower on the summit has all been
restored (the wood part) w/ new oak !! Stair treads and floor deck. The
tower even has a roof.  And the trail has been all upgraded !!!  The whole
trail has steps, water bars, and cleared brush.

So.... this is a CT River Birding Trail site on the Northern map... site #
23.   Check it out !!  (about a 2 hour hike up)

Highlights:  (summit to pklot, sat morning.. ~7-9:30)

(in order of appearance)   most tallies are of singing males.

8 Magnolia W

3 Nashville

1 Bl-head Vireo

4 Yellow-rumps

3 Blackpoll Warblers

2 Boreal Chicks

1 Gray Jay

7 Winter Wrens

2 Yellow-bellied Flyc's

4 White-thr Sp

5 Swainson's Thrushes

2 Gold -cr Kinglets

6 Bl-thr-Greens

1 Purp Fin

9 Canada Warblers !!   saw ~6 of them

14 Bl-thr Blue Warblers !!  (i believe all singong males, saw a bunch)

5 B& White W's

3 Ovenbirds

1 Yellow- b Saps

1 Brown Creep

2 Red e Vireos

1 Blackburnian

1 Chestnut-s Warb

1 Co Yellowthrote

1 Alder Flyc

and 1 Brown Thrasher in the gravel pit... parking lot.

not bad !!!

Bill Shepard

Checked by AVG.
6:52 AM