UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2007, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Upper Valley Birders <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"J. Langevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:45:37 -0500
    My husband has said we have been having a large Tom Turkey frequenting our bird feeders for the past week.  Today I got to see him.  He stayed in the yard feeding for over 1 1/2 hrs.  He would be under the feeders then go to an apple tree at the edge of the woods and peck and toss fallen apples.  He would then wander around the yard and pick and scratch under other trees.  Next he would be back under the feeders.
    I checked my copy of The Sibley Guide to Birds.  There it states a male can be 46 in. in length, have a wing span of 64 in., and weigh 16.2 lbs.  He is certainly a lot bigger than the girls that have been by earlier this fall.  I was able to get a good digital photo from the house.
    My husband got to see him fly the other day when our golden saw him as she headed for the house from the garage.  She took off running and he took off in flight.
     He doesn't seem to come around when she is in her kennel.
    I also had a Tufted Titmouse last Wed. and a F. Cardinal on Sat. at the feeders.  I bought and put out some peanut hearts hoping the Titmouse would be back.  No further sighting as of yet.

J. Langevin
Enfield Center