UVCB-MEMBERS Archives

June 2010

UVCB-MEMBERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 19:02:33 -0400
Hi Gang!

I just realized, with Carole's email, that it's been a looong time
since I sent out a guide to how to use our "list." The following is a
guide I sent out in 2008 that is still valid (also available at
http://bit.ly/9z9fuV)...

NOTE: Pay special attention to what gets sent to
[log in to unmask] (your postings to the list) vs.
[log in to unmask] ("commands" to the list, which
possibly only the nerds and geeks among us care about; Carole made
this mistake with one of her emails ;) )

John

----

Yesterday I "welcomed" you to the new UVCB-MEMBERS email list. This
email is a more detailed guide to using it.

1. You have been added to the UVCB-MEMBERS mailing list (Upper Valley
Community Band Members)

2. Please save this message for future reference, especially if this
is the first time you are subscribing to an electronic mailing list.
If you ever need to LEAVE the list, then you will find the necessary
instructions below.

3. To send a message to all of the people currently subscribed to the
list, just send mail to:

...which is called the "list address." You must never send any command
(see below) to that address, as it would be distributed to all the
people who have subscribed.

Most UVCB-MEMVERS users DO NOT need to read any further...

4. LIST ARCHIVES: Contributions sent to this list are automatically
archived. You can access the list archives at...

http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=UVCB-MEMBERS

5. LISTSERV COMMANDS: All commands (see below) must be sent to...

...which is called the "LISTSERV address." It is important to
understand the difference between the two.

6. LEAVING THE LIST: You may leave the list at any time by putting the
text "SIGNOFF UVCB-MEMBERS" in the body of an email and seding it
to...

...This is called "sending a command." You can also tell LISTSERV how
you want it to confirm the receipt of messages you send to the list.
To send yourself a copy of your own messages, send a "SET UVCB-MEMBERS
REPRO" command. Alternatively, to have LISTSERV send you a short
acknowledgement instead of the entire message, send a "SET
UVCB-MEMBERS ACK NOREPRO" command. Finally, you can turn off
acknowledgements completely with the "SET UVCB-MEMBERS NOACK NOREPRO"
command.

7. WEB SUBSCRIPTION SETTINGS: Subscription settings and preferences
can also be set using LISTSERV's Web Interface. For more information
on using commands or on using the Web Interface to set your
subscription settings, see the List Subscriber's Manual at
http://www.lsoft.com/resources/manuals.asp.

8. Following instructions from the list owner, your subscription
options  have been set to "REPRO" rather than the usual LISTSERV
defaults. For  more information about subscription options, send a
"QUERY UVCB-MEMBERS"  command to [log in to unmask]

9. This list is available in digest form. If you wish to receive the
digested version of the postings, then issue a "SET UVCB-MEMBERS
DIGEST"  command.

10. More information on LISTSERV commands can be found in the LISTSERV
 reference card, which you can retrieve by sending an "INFO REFCARD"
command to [log in to unmask]

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
http://bitwacker.wordpress.com