UVCB-MEMBERS Archives

May 2009

UVCB-MEMBERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"John S. Erickson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2009 20:16:44 -0400
Hi!

Those of us who use gmail sometimes have received emails from Carole
that appear to be "empty." Some other users using certain older email
programs might also sometimes have experienced this.

The problem isn't with Gmail and isn't with ValleyNet (Carole's usual
email service); it is with the Blitzmail program, which Carole sometimes
has used to send email. This is a long-standing issue with Blitz; it has
a (not-completely-standard) way of packaging up email that some services
don't like. I've had it happen to me from time to time on email from
Dartmouth and ValleyNet users for literally 17 yrs!

What to do: If it should happen again, when you try to read the message
it will appear to be empty but will claim to have an attachment titled
"noname."  There will be a link near this labeled "Download." Click on
this and save it to your desktop; Windoze users should add the suffix
".txt" (i.e. save it with the name "noname.txt"). Then go to the desktop
and open the file. You can try this on Carole's "Oops" email from this
weekend.

To help eliminate this problem Carole will try to send ValleyNet emails
in a different way (other than using Blitz) that we've tested to work.

Thank you for your patience!

John

PS: There are approx 80 members on this list, on a variety of email
systems, personal computer types, operating systems, email programs, and
most importantly levels of understanding! It is remarkable that it works
as well and as reliably as it does! ;)