UVCB-MEMBERS Archives

October 2012

UVCB-MEMBERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:31:35 -0400
Hi Bandmates!

My church is hosting a memorial service on 10 Nov (Sat, 10a) for one
of our members, Wayne Hall, a decorated Korean-era Marine (retired as
a Colonel) who died earlier this month. The service is scheduled for
10a on Saturday, 10 November, at Our Savior Lutheran Church (5 Summer
St, Hanover, NH). Summer St is the stoplight at HHS...

His wife Jan, being the archetype Marine wife, has planned out an
impressive service. The program includes some selections from our
usual march/parade material --- Thunderer, Semper Fi, one or two other
marches as Prelude --- several hymns (incl. "America the Beautiful,"
"Marine Corp Hymn," "Eternal Father," "Amazing Grace" during, and
*possibly* S&S as a Postlude. The service will *not* be one of our
usual Lutheran services, but rather a celebration of Wayne's life and
esp. his service as a Marine.

To deliver what Jan wants will require a few more players than she
thinks. I think if I got five-ten "volunteers" across parts esp. for
the marches in the Prelude and Postlude we could give this what it
deserves. We will be playing *our* material from our books, either
March & Swing or (for the Marine Corp Hymn) from our Memorial Day
books. I'm hoping for a few *strong* players from each section; think
of this like a parade where only few people show up ;)

Logistics:
0. Please respond ASAP directly to me...
1. I'm negotiating a same-day run-through, e.g. 9a or 8:30a on
Saturday before a 10a service
2. Jan is asking for us to wear purple shirts; I'm negotiating band
shirts instead (please let me know your feelings)
3. OSLC has only a small number of stands, so please bring lyres or stands
4. I'd love a competent percussionist or two ;)
5. I'm negotiating a donation to the band from the family...

Thanks for considering this; thanks much to Carole for volunteering
the loan of the band's march books!

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
Director, Web Science Operations