UVCB-MEMBERS Archives

June 2008

UVCB-MEMBERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"John S. Erickson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:08:54 -0400
Just a quick update to my note from earlier today...According to an
email administrator at Dartmouth, the latency that some of our
UVCB-MEMBERS subscribers have been experiencing (esp. Yahoo users) is
based partly on "normal" behavior for handling bulk emails, and partly
on how Yahoo does things.

1. Email from listserv's (for example the software we use to manage our
UVCB-MEMBERS list) is coded and prioritized as "bulk."

2. Every receiving email system (e.g. company systems and services such
as google, yahoo, verizon, etc) handles "bulk"-prioritized emails
differently. Yahoo (I am told...) is "notorious," sometimes delaying
delivery of incoming bulk emails for more than three days.

By way of example, I have registered as a UVCB-MEMBERS subscriber via
several email systems (HP's corporate system plus gmail and yahoo) and I
see a dramatic difference in latency; HP and gmail process the mail very
quickly, yahoo much less so.

We set up this list as a way to consolidate and to make emailing to
fellow UVCB members less error-prone. Unfortunately, emailing to
listservs does not have the same immediacy as point-to-point emails,
instant messaging, etc...

John