UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2007, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
mary holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
mary holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 13:15:01 -0400
*Vermont

*Statewide

7.2.07

*VT0403.06

This is the Vermont Rare Bird Alert for July2, 2007 covering the period June
25 - July 1, 2007.

This week's highlight was 4 MUTE SWANS at Pompy Flats on 6/22.

Following is an update from Eric Hanson of the Vermont Loon Recovery
Project:

As of July 1, there were 54 loon nests confirmed in Vermont including 6 new
nests on Green River Reservoir SE, Pensioner Pond, Shadow Lake (Concord),
Woodbury Lake and one other lake.  This number will go up as several nests
are not being checked until early to mid-July.  The Shadow Lake pair failed
after an attempt to move the nest from someone's beach front to a nesting
raft.  The loons made the move to the raft successfully but did not follow
it down the shoreline 200 feet.

Woodbury Lake has its first loon chick since the loon program began in 1978.
To date, 32 chicks are swimming on our lakes and ponds.  Eight nest failures
have been confirmed - most of the eggs disappeared.  At Chittenden Reservoir
the raft broke loose and the pair abandoned the nest; the raft was retrieved
and put back in place and the pair has since re-nested.  There is new pair
activity on Derby Pond and Lake Dunmore (nest searching/courting).  We put 8
signs around the island on Dunmore.  As of last week the pair was still
hanging out close to the island.

Several ponds with potential pair activity last year or as recently as this
May now have less consistent loon activity (Daniels, Great Hosmer,
Wapanacki, Bruce, Greenwood, Knapp Brook (nested '06), Marshfield, Neal,
Elmore).  There is a chance that loons were off the ponds during the survey
periods.

Loonwatch will be July 21; there are still a few small lakes that are
unassigned.  If anyone is interested in helping to survey a lake that
morning around 8 am, please contact me at the address below. For 2 ponds
where I removed nesting rafts this year, one pair has nested naturally
(Brownington) and one pair has not (Bald Hill).  The Newark Pond pair
successfully produced 2 chicks from the island site after using a nesting
raft for many years.

 Eric Hanson, Vermont Loon Recovery Project Biologist

(802) 586-8064  [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

The Vermont Loon Recovery Project is a program of VINS and Vermont Fish &
Wildlife Dept.

The Vermont Institute of Natural Science offers natural history trips,
lectures and programs.  To receive a copy of our program calendar, stop at
one of our centers, call the office during business hours at 802-359-5000 or
visit the VINS' web site at http://www.vinsweb.org
<http://www.vinsweb.org/>.

            This Vermont birding report is a service of the Vermont
Institute of Natural Science.  VINS is a non-profit, membership organization
located in Quechee with a regional center in Manchester.  Founded in 1972,
VINS' mission is to protect our natural heritage through education and
research. Your membership supports these goals and this reporting service.
Updates are typically made on Fridays.  Please report your sightings of rare
or

unusual birds to VINS, or email reports to [log in to unmask]

            If you have any interesting birds to report, you can send your
sightings to the RBA via e-mail at:  [log in to unmask]  Or enter your
sightings on Vermont eBird at http://www.ebird.org/VINS/.

 Mary Holland

Chris Rimmer

Kent McFarland