UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2007, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george a clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george a clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 17:10:06 EDT
	The most unusual bird found on this morning's (May 12) Vermont Breeding Bird
Atlas field trip to southern Hartland and northern Windsor was a singing
Brewster's Warbler near the intersection of Marton Road and Pond Road in
northern Windsor. The Brewster's Warbler was to the north of Pond Road and west
of Marton Road. [Brewster's Warbler is the name applied to certain of the
hybrids originating through the interbreeding of Blue-winged and Golden-winged
Warblers.]

	The songs of today's Brewster's were like those of a Blue-winged Warbler,
sometimes characterized as a "B-buzz". Today's bird had no conspicuous
distinctive patch of yellow on the underparts, such as shown in many field
guides, and thus resembled the illustration labeled as a "Brewster's backcross
adult" male on page 333 of David Sibley's (2003) Field Guide to Birds of Eastern
North America.

 The only other bird species we found near  today's Brewster's Warbler was a
singing Nashville Warbler. In addition, we encountered 51 other bird species
during the trip. Those species for which we saw the most obvious evidence of
nesting during today's trip were Canada Goose, Tree Swallow, Barn Swallow,
American Robin, European Starling, House Finch, and House Sparrow.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT