UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2018, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
George Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2018 21:53:03 -0400
Many thanks to all who have commented on the Goose Pond bird. Reexamining the photos, this time with digital enlargement, now convinces me that the bird was indeed an immature Black-ccowned Night-Heron and not a bittern.  Enlargement of the photo of the bird  on the hammock clearly shows the spotted wing coverts which, along with the other  features which have been mentioned, rule out a bittern.  Again going out on a limb,  it seems likely that no one has previously photographed one of these night-herons on a hammock!

George Clark
Norwich, VT

Thanks much to quite a number of helpful experienced birders - it most likely is an American Bittern, especially noting the unspotted wing coverts.  My moment of fame, having one perch on my hammock!