UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2014, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2014 15:43:03 -0500
This post stretches the legitimacy geographically for UVB, but because
it includes 2 North American migrants, I thought it might be of
interest.  I just returned to Santo Domingo, DR from a 3-day trip to
Sierra Bahoruco on the Haitian border.  We hiked a fairly narrow, and
ever-dwindling band of lush cloud forest at ~1600 meters elevation.
This forest type, which harbors some of Hispaniola's highest
biodiversity and is the preferred winter habitat of Bicknell's Thrush,
is under serious assault from many forces.  In this particular area on
the southern slopes of Bahoruco, the main threat is commercial avocado
farming.  It's a long and complicated story, but VCE and our local
partners will focus conservation efforts here in the months ahead.  It's
a completely untenable situation, the very definition of an ecological
crisis.

Chris

Los Arroyos birding trail,
Feb 15, 2014 11:15 AM - 4:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 kilometer(s)

Red-tailed Hawk  1
Scaly-naped Pigeon  2
Zenaida Dove  2
Hispaniolan Emerald  4
Hispaniolan Trogon  3
Narrow-billed Tody  7
Hispaniolan Woodpecker  5
Hispaniolan Parrot  2
Greater Antillean Elaenia  2
Hispaniolan Pewee  4
Golden Swallow  4
Rufous-throated Solitaire  11     Ten singing individuals, 1 visual
Bicknell's Thrush  5
Black-throated Blue Warbler  18
Pine Warbler  1
Hispaniolan Highland-Tanager  4