UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2012, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 16:53:38 -0500
Through the mid day hours today (Dec. 22), Ed Hack and I looked for
birds along the Connecticut River, starting at the Ledyard Bridge in
Norwich, VT, and then going north along VT Route 5 as far as Kendall
Station Road in Norwich, and then going south to the Wilder section of
Hartford, where we visited Kilowatt Park, both South and North, and
also looked downstream over the river below Wilder Dam.

Ducks were remarkably plentiful. Mallards were in numerous locations
with the largest flock being an estimated 170 birds flying and
circling near the Nordic Skater business on Route 5 in Norwich. Our
high count of American Black Ducks was 4 flying among that large
Mallard flock. A Gadwall was well seen among Mallards on the south
side of Kendall Station Road just to the east of Route 5. The sole
Ring-necked Duck was observed from near the boat launch at Kilowatt
South. A Lesser Scaup was seen on the Connecticut River with a flock
of Mallards on the water near Nordic Skater before we saw the largest
flock of Mallards in flight. Three female Common Goldeneyes and 5
female Buffleheads were at Kilowatt South. Hooded Mergansers were
widely spread along the river, and our total was 49. Common Mergansers
totaled 21, with the only males being 2 seen from Kilowatt North.
Despite having seen the 9 species of ducks today, we found no Canada
Geese.

Highlights among other kinds of birds included an adult Bald Eagle
perched in a pine in VT south of Wilder Dam, a male Peregrine Falcon
watched at length while flying and circling at Kilowatt South, a
Belted Kingfisher along Route 5 just to the north of Butternut Lane in
Norwich, and a flock of about 30 calling redpolls flying over Kilowatt
South,

George Clark
Norwich, VT