UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2013, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Michael Choukas Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Choukas Jr.
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:13:10 +0000
To show how times have changed, Wayne's posting on horned larks reminded me that in the late 1930s and 40s when horned larks were seen in the Upper Valley it was important to know whether they were northern horned larks (more yellow) or prairie horned larks (grayer).    There was a large plowed field where the Lyme Road Coop, Office Building, and Hanover Terrace now are where horned larks were a yearly occurrence along with snow buntings and an occasional Lapland longspur.  And meadowlarks and savannah sparrows in the spring and summer.

Mike