UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2017, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
david merker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
david merker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2017 08:07:27 +0000
Late Friday afternoon a large adult Goshawk made an attack on one my laying hens foraging in my veg garden. I was not far away in the nearby wood and heard the commotion. Luckily all it got was a foot full of feathers as the chicken dove into the small remaining kale "forest". The hawk now in a nearby tree, about to make a second pass, was unnerved by my presence and flew off to the neighboring field to regroup. I herded the rattled ladies under the deck and eventually back to the relative safety of their coop and headed back up into the wood to finish this cold windy afternoon. Amazingly enough, two of the hens went to ground and eventually emerged from the safety of an old Woodchuck burrow. :o) funny resourceful birds.

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders

To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]