UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2012, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2012 14:15:51 -0500
I just got back to my car after tracking out with camera to try to take some pictures of the geese. My worst thoughts were that I wouldn't see them or they'd be too far for me together agood picture w/ my 400mm lens.  It didn't even occur to me that I would find them in the condition that I did.  I found both bodies snagged on fallen tree trunks a short ways into the woods past the last pump house.  I only saw 1 first, kept looking out to see if the other was nearby, but then I saw a wing next to another fallen tree a bit closer to the pump house.  I took pictures from where I was, but other than proof guess they're not much help now.  It's nice that they got a good last meal at least...
    Didn't see any eagles around, but I hope something at least will get a meal from them.

As another sad aside, a bit further down there is what must be a dead Great Blue Heron. It seems Much smaller than I would expect, but never seen one dead. I thought wingspan should be more than 4', and this seemed less.  It's neck looked mouthed over, but didn't see anything else wrong with it.. Seemed rather heavy weight, nothing been munching it.

Sent from my iPad