UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:36:26 -0400
Once a summer aka  June 18, I drive a specified route, 50 stops, 3 minutes
each. Tallying each individual, visually or audibly.

USBS is the US Biological Survey.  Yesterday was the 8th year I have done
this census route, something like the 40th year the route has been surveyed.

Route starts in Post Mills and meanders around L Fairlee, down Rt 5, Godfrey
in Thetford which turns into Hogback and then out past Huntley Meadows in
Norwich.  This is a breeding bird survey.  There are routes all over the US.

72 species.  One new for the year: Mourning Warbler with its slurry, churry
song in tangly-berry cover.

Highlights aside from our wonderful regular birds:

1 Green Heron

1 Be Kingfisher

12 other warbler species: No Waterthrush a first for the census, Bl-thr
Blue, many Am Redstarts, Blaackburnian, Pines !.

Alder, Least, Ea Kingbirds

1 NR-w Swallow, 1 Bank.

16 TuVu.

1 Ba Oriole. 1  ScTanager.

Not one Rb Grosbeak, or GC Flycatcher.  3 Tree Swallows. No Hawks.

1 Monarch, I Silver-spotted Skipper, and a bunch of Eu Skippers around the
Thetford dooryard yest.

Bill Shepard.

Bill Shepard

Project Coordinator