UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2013, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2013 22:07:07 -0400
Advantages of having an office only a couple of hundred yards away from
the Coop gardens and fields: I took a mid-afternoon stroll today and had
8 sparrow species. Highlights:

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Gray Catbird  1
Palm Warbler (Yellow)  4
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  2
Field Sparrow  1
Savannah Sparrow  5
Song Sparrow  20
Lincoln's Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  4
White-throated Sparrow  25
White-crowned Sparrow  7
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15347164

A few people have asked about parking and birding at this site. Parking
can be done anywhere, either in the gravel park-and-ride behind the
Farmer's Market or in the grassy area just to its north.  My typical
route is to walk along the north side of the garden - slowly, as the
sparrows tend to be very skittish - then work the small wooded patch to
the northeast (many birds move from the garden into this patch), then
across the grassy opening and north along the edge of thickets bordering
the small shrubby wetland.  From there, cross the parking area for the
King Arthur trails and walk east to a weed-covered 'borrow pit' left
over from the playing fields construction several years ago.  This can
be chock full of sparrows, and sometimes other species (2 Yellow Palms
today), but it's tough to bird.  I often climb up on one or more of the
corners to gain a good vantage point.  Standing quietly, sometimes
pishing, can be productive.

 From there I walk south to the baseball field and skirt the woods edge
outside the fence along its west side, ducking into the woods on a short
path to a landscaping business whose "office" is a trailer, at the end
of a road that passes from Rt. 5 past the Norwich Racquet Club.  This
can be a really good area for landbirds.  I then walk along the road
back to the racquet club and turn right just beyond the small pond, to
the east end of Fogg's Hardware warehouses.  There are a couple of
dumpsters in an opening, and this can be a good spot too.  From there,
walk back to the Farmer's Market parking lot.  In fall, sparrows are
often feeding on the ground around the two lines of fruiting shrubs that
divide the parking lot.  I've seen Snow Buntings here later in the
fall.  You can then work the weedy south side of the Coop gardens.
That's it.  I usually figure on a half hour, but if activity is hopping,
more time can easily be spent.

If anyone would like to meet there this Thursday at 8:30 am, I'll be
glad to walk this route.  I'll be able to spend up to 45 minutes.  I'll
park in the grassy lot to the left as you pull in to the Farmer's Market.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies