UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2010, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:45:47 -0400
Both yesterday and today (July 26), a Red-breasted Nuthatch was in the
backyard here in Norwich village. It has been many weeks since I
previously saw that species in the yard. This latest bird might have
been either a wandering individual or perhaps an early migrant.

A Carolina Wren heard singing and giving call notes this morning along
Elm Street was the first of that species which I have detected in
Norwich village since early spring of this year. Late spring and early
summer here were unusual among recent years in that Carolina Wrens
seemed to be absent in locations along both Hopson Road and Elm Street
in the village.

Under breezy conditions at Pompy during my brief visit early this
afternoon, 2 adult Cliff Swallows were flying about in the vicinity of
the I-91 bridges. This sighting, along with continued presence of a
nest, indicates that the Cliff Swallow nesting season is still
underway at that location.

Other bird species at Pompy today included 6 Canada Geese, 8 Mallards,
an Eastern Kingbird, 8 American Crows, at least one Barn Swallow, a
Gray Catbird, a male Red-winged Blackbird, and an American Goldfinch.

Water level at Pompy early this afternoon was low enough to be
possibly attractive for plovers or sandpipers, but none was seen.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT