UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2010, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 11:14:39 -0400
  PS - Due to the early meeting time for this walk, we will be offering
coffee - the Scarlet Tanager (dark) roast from Birds & Beans® (roasted
in Montpelier and grown on one farm in Peru).

Birds & Beans coffee is certified 'Bird Friendly®' by the Smithsonian
Migratory Bird Center. Only birds and VCE will derive any benefit from
this; we have no interest in the business and pay full retail for the
product. But we know of no better-tasting coffee!

Doug Hardy

Learn more here:
<http://tinyurl.com/2e2333r>
or the full URL:
<https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:34366.6776354876/rid:b0916e0412afb65a4adae64b52186940>

On 9/3/2010 9:02 AM, Doug Hardy wrote:
>  Fall warbler viewing, *tomorrow* (Sat., 9/4/2010):
>
> The next bird walk in the Norwich 2010 Birding Quest series will focus
> on migrating passerines - especially warblers, vireos, and
> flycatchers. Although the impact of tonight's cold front passage is
> uncertain, there has been considerable species diversity every day
> this week at the location of tomorrow's walk (see below for today's
> highlights).
>
> We will meet at the corner of Bragg Hill and Tucker Hill Roads this
> Saturday at 6:45 AM and continue for an hour or two, depending upon
> bird activity. Driving instructions are below, or /to car pool meet
> George Clark at Dan & Whit's at 0630/ (silver-colored Honda CRV).
> Those arriving late can join the group by starting down the trail
> across from the mailbox, described below.
>
> Spencer Hardy will lead the walk, sharing his experience on this
> Norwich Fire District land; George Clark will keep him honest. Both
> are knowledgeable about fall warbler plumages - which are not always
> as 'confusing' as commonly thought.
>
> The event is free and open to both Norwich residents and others.
> Children are welcome with an accompanying adult. Participants should
> wear waterproof footware for accessing an overgrown, relict beaver
> pond with some wet spots, although a well-maintained trail of ~1 km
> distance encircles the area. Bring binoculars if available. Only
> steady rain will cause cancellation; call 802-649-1829 Saturday after
> 6am if questionable weather (e.g., high wind).
>
> Directions by road: From Exit 13 on I-91 in Norwich, proceed into town
> towards Dan & Whit's General Store. Turn left onto Beaver Meadow Road
> and continue 4.0 miles out. Turn left onto Tucker Hill Road, a steep
> dirt road, then go 0.4+ miles to the Bragg Hill Road intersection.
> Parking is probably easiest on Tucker Hill Road just past the
> junction. One end of the trail is at this intersection (North corner),
> and the other is back 200 meters on Tucker Hill across from the black
> mailbox.
>
> The latest blog on the Norwich 2010 Birding Quest is now available at:
> <http://vtecostudies.blogspot.com/2010/08/norwich-2010-quest-tops-150-species.html>
>
> We've added 3 new species in the past week, bringing the total to 155
> species.
>
> Spencer Hardy
> Norwich, VT
>
> *seen today in 15 min:*
> Eastern Wood-Pewee     1
> Philadelphia Vireo     1  (third day in a row for this species)
> Nashville Warbler     1
> Northern Parula     1  (different individual than seen yesterday)
> Chestnut-sided Warbler     2
> Magnolia Warbler     1
> Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)     1
> Black-throated Green Warbler     1
> Palm Warbler (Western)     1  (first of the year this location;
> warbler sp. #22 this fall)
> Scarlet Tanager     1

> [...]

   Douglas R. Hardy, Ph.D.   phone: 802-649-1829 or
   Dept. of Geosciences             413-545-0659
   Morrill Science Center    fax: 413-545-1200 or 802-649-1829
   Univ. of Massachusetts    e-mail: [log in to unmask]
   Amherst MA   01003-9297   http://www.geo.umass.edu/climate/doug