UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2012, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2012 22:41:41 -0400
Join fellow birders on Saturday, June 2 at one of the Upper Valley's
premier birding locations: the Windsor State Farms Corrections
property.  Chris Rimmer, Ed Hack and Spencer Hardy will co-lead a
Windsor County Quest outing to this property, which features Blue-winged
and Golden-winged Warblers (and hybrids), Rufous-sided Towhees, Field
Sparrows and other species characteristic of overgrowing field
habitats.  Both cuckoo species are possible, with winnowing snipe and
singing Bobolinks likely.

For anyone traveling from Norwich-Hanover, carpooling from Dan and
Whit's general store is encouraged, leaving promptly at 6:45 am.
Additional carpooling will take place from the Hartland park-and-ride at
7:00 am.  For those wishing to meet at the corrections property itself,
park in the pull-off by the small red outbuilding along Marton Road,
just north of State Farm Road.  We'll meet there at 7:15 and likely bird
this area for about 2 hours, then check the junction of Marton and Hunt
Road.  For those interested in continuing, we may then visit the Simon
Pearce floodplain, in search of Red-bellied Woodpecker, Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher and Yellow-throated Vireo.

We will plan to be back in Norwich by 11:00 am.  This trip will entail
moderate walking, so sturdy and/or waterproof shoes are recommended.  It
is free and open to the public.  Birders of all ages are encouraged to
participate.  If weather is hot and humid, participants should bring
bring water or other drinks.

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies