UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2007, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mark Krenitsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Krenitsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:58:10 -0400
Remember, if you know of anyone interested or eligible, please contact
me at [log in to unmask], or (603) 863-1068. Thank you!

Mark Krenitsky

Here's the info again:

The Mascoma Chapter of NH Audubon is accepting applications for another
Billie Jo Johnstone Youth Birder Scholarship. In 2005 we instituted the
scholarship as a way to honor our former chapter president's commitment
to introducing young people to birding and nature study. Money is
available for local birders who are not yet 18 years old and who are
interested in attending a summer camp, workshop, training program, or
convention specifically related to birding, ornithology, or ecology.

The previous recipient of the Billie Jo Johnstone Youth Birder
Scholarship was Hayden Mulligan, who participated in an ecological trip
to Honduras, and gave us a talk about it on January 4th of last year.

Other examples of the sorts of programs we would be interested in
funding would include offerings of the Vermont Institute of Natural
Science (VINS); the American Birding Association (ABA)'s Young
Birders'Conference to be held in Borneo August 4 - August 9, 2007; the
ABA Camp Tejano or Camp Chiricahua programs in July 2007; offerings of
the Hog Island Audubon Camp in Maine such as their Coastal Maine Bird
Studies for Teens program with Kenn Kaufmann June 24 - 30, 2007; or
similar programs.

For information on ABA programs please see

http://www.americanbirding.org/yb/conf/index.html.

For information on VINS programs see http://www.vinsweb.org/programs.

For information on Hog Island Audubon Camp see

http://www.maineaudubon.org/explore/camp/hi_overview.shtml.

We encourage all local birders to think about young birders in the area
who might be interested in this scholarship and to call their attention
to its existence.  Be aware that ABA has its own scholarship program
(http://americanbirding.org/yb/schol/index.html). A partial scholarship
from us plus a partial scholarship from the ABA might be a way to
completely fund the attendance fee at such a program, leaving only
travel expenses to be paid for personally.

If you know someone who might be interested in applying for a Billie Jo
Johnstone Fund Youth Birder Scholarship, please ask them to contact me
at (603) 863-1068 or at [log in to unmask], and I'll send them the
application form. The deadline is March 15th.

Thank you, and good birding!

                                                                  Mark
Krenitsky