UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2008, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:40:21 -0400
My house is surrounded by newly mown fields, and wild turkeys are very much attracted to them.  I now have a daily occurrence of a flock foraging its way across the field, either behind my house or across the road - and sometimes across my yard. (I do hope they stay out of my garden - my gourds, squash and pumpkins may be in peril.)

I investigated a very loud, Tufted Titmouse-like call this a.m., and discovered a hen turkey "talking" to a youngster as they walked between my house and the barn.  The youngster also checked out my flower garden.  Then another hen flew into view - low-flying, B-52 birdcraft.

Always birding,Peg Ackerson
Lyme Center