UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2013, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:09:49 -0400
Running along snowy Bragg Hill Road at lunchtime, into a biting north
wind on this first day of Spring with my studded shoes, I wasn't
expecting to see a WOODCOCK.

The bird made 2 short flights, providing clear views of a fat body with
orange-buff underparts, short tail, stubby rounded wings, and endless bill.

Snowcover along most of Bragg Hill is presently about 30 cm, yet until
Monday afternoon there were extensive bare patches near where the bird
was seen. Worms must be in short supply today, however!

Doug Hardy
Norwich