UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2015, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2015 20:33:09 -0400
On Saturday March 21, 2015, from 8 to 11 AM, Mascoma Chapter of New
Hampshire Audubon is to hold a bird walk, led by George Clark, to look
for migratory waterbirds and other birds along the Connecticut River
and nearby. This bird walk is free and open to the public. Because
this year the river is likely to remain largely ice covered for a
considerable distance northward from Wilder Dam, we'll head southward
by vehicle on the VT side to visit open water sites where waterbirds
have been seen in recent days. Participants should bring binoculars
and scopes if available, and dress warmly. A total of a mile or more
of walking might be necessary over fairly level terrain but with a
possible snow/ice cover on which foot traction devices might be useful.

Road Instructions: Because of very limited parking space in certain
sites to be visited, we strongly encourage carpooling if at all
possible. Our initial meeting will be at 8:00 AM in the commuter
parking lot off River Road in Norwich, VT. If coming from Hanover,
cross the Ledyard Bridge into VT, then take an immediate left turn
onto River Road, and then an immediate left turn into the unpaved
commuter parking lot.

For those coming from the south, there'll be a secondary meeting site
around 8:20 AM near Wilder Dam. To reach this secondary meeting
location, from Exit 12 off I-91 in Wilder, VT, turn east toward Route
5. On reaching Route 5 (Hartford Ave.), turn left. Continue
(northward) to the fourth right, turning onto Depot Street. Take the
next left (onto Norwich Ave.), and then an immediate right turn over
the bridge to Passumpsic Avenue. At Passumpsic Avenue turn right
toward Wilder Dam. Park in the first parking lot on the right
(entrance at a break in the guard rail) which will be our secondary
meeting site. (The parking area closest to the dam is now largely
covered in deep snow, so the secondary meeting site is to be in the
unpaved parking lot which has its entrance through the guard rail.)

George Clark
Norwich, VT