UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2011, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2011 17:55:13 -0400
NH (and some VT!) Birders,

From what I've been reading, the regional Irene action so far has been along
the Connecticut River in the Upper Valley, although I suspect some birders
MUST be on the river farther south. Anyone interested in chasing storm birds
should be aware that there have been Sooty Terns all over the place in NJ,
the lower Hudson and NYC, and even one in coastal Connecticut. There have
also been three White-tailed Tropicbirds in Cape May and one in Manhattan.
As the track of the storm is going up the Connecticut, there remains the
potential for these species to show up in NH and VT. There were three
tropicbirds in VT after the hurricane of 1938, which followed a very similar
track. In addition to checking the river, it'd be a good idea to look at
local lakes that aren't too far from the storm track.

Good luck!
Pam Hunt
Penacook, NH

(Black Tern in at Horseshoe Pond in Concord this afternoon, more details
later, as some folks may still be down there)