UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2012, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2012 17:35:34 -0400
At noon today, an adult Common Loon was diving and preening just 25-50
yards off the Kilowatt boat access.  Other water birds included a single
male Ring-necked Duck and Bufflehead, both of which have been present
for ~3 weeks are are always at the far south end, near the dam, and a
subadult Double-crested Cormorant.

At the junction of the White and Connecticut rivers, 30 Bank Swallows
were actively foraging over the water.  The former nesting colony in the
sandy banks on the south side of the White rivermouth was obliterated by
Irene, and no birds or obvious burrows were evident when I visited a
week ago.  However, today I noticed 2-3 holes that may be
newly-excavated burrows, and the site bears watching.  Anyone who finds
evidence of Bank Swallow nesting here or anywhere else is encouraged to
enter information on Vermont eBird.  See
http://ebird.org/content/vt/news/bank-swallow.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer