UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2008, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:17:45 -0500
We are pleased to announce the release of several new eBird output tools
featuring Arrivals, Departures and High Counts. These tools provide
birders with new ways to explore the eBird data, to learn when and where
birds are being reported and to get a better sense of eBird's historic
data. You can check it out at http://ebird.org/content/vt/.

We have assembled historic data as far back as the 1800s and we will be
entering this data into spreadsheets to be uploaded into VT eBird over
the next year+. With the new uploading tools in eBird, this task has
become much easier to complete. If you'd like to help us enter historic
data into spreadsheets for uploading to eBird, please let us know. This
data comes from old notebooks, note cards, records of Vermont birds, and
published sources. Our goal at Vermont Center for Ecostudies is to get
all of this data into one place, enabling us to analyze it for many
things such changes in arrival times. And allowing everyone access to
the wealth of bird knowledge for Vermont that is scattered in disjunct
places. If you have or know of more historical data, please let us know!

I encourage all of you to record first arrival dates for all species as
spring comes along (one of these days) and enter it into Vermont eBird.

Thank you.
Kent

--
Kent McFarland