UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2008, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Elizabeth Maislen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elizabeth Maislen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:48:28 -0500
When I arrived at work at DHMC this am around 6 am there were hundreds of crows
roosting not only in the trees around the parking lot, but right in the trees in
the parking lot as well as a large flock (of about 100) right on the ground in
the parking lot.  I am guessing there were as many as 600 to 1000, it was hard
to tell.  In the dim light the little bare branched trees in the parking lot
looked like evergreens as their branches were filled with black crows.  As you
can well imagine, they were cackling and cawing up a storm!  Walking through all
of them, including the ones on the ground, who were loath to budge, was quite
the experience.  As they swirled around me all I could think of was Alfred
Hitchcock's film "The Birds."

When I left work this afternoon I was reminded of their earlier presence by the
rash of yellow blobs all over the entire area.  No crows at that later hour, but
they had left their marks!

Betsy Maislen
Norwich, VT