UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:48:44 -0400
Today (March 17) Ed Hack and I looked for birds along and near the
Connecticut River from Springfield Meadows (Flats) north to Pompy in
Norwich. Most of the Connecticut River along our route was still
covered with ice, and most of the ground was still snow-covered except
along roadways and some south-facing slopes. Warm temperatures and
sunny skies facilitated melting particularly in the mid day hours.

The largest flock of Canada Geese included about 80 birds flying
northward over Springfield Meadows. Canada Geese were also flying over
Lake Runnemede in Windsor, and five were in open water by the
Connecticut River in North Hartland. Other waterfowl species seen
today included Mallards, American Black Ducks (4 in North Hartland),
Common Goldeneyes (8 by White River Junction), and Common Mergansers
at three locations. Raptors included an immature Bald Eagle at
Springfield Meadows, and a flying adult seen from Campbell Flats Road
in Norwich. Two Red-tailed Hawks were seen in Hartford.

Our first sighting for Killdeer for this year was of two birds on snow-
free ground on the north side of Route 132 at Pompy. Three Northern
Flickers were at Lake Runnemede. Other highlights included two Eastern
Bluebirds at Lake Runnemede and two others at Springfield Meadows.
These were our first bluebird sightings of this year.

Late this afternoon I saw a male Brown-headed Cowbird on a feeder in
the backyard here in Norwich village. This was my first sighting of a
cowbird for this year.

George Clark
Norwich, VT