UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2020, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2020 10:07:07 -0500
Movie Event and Panel Discussion: The Messenger

Location: Woodstock Town Hall Theater

Date and Time: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 6 pm

Ascutney Mountain Audubon Society (amasvt.org) is a co-sponsor with Sustainable Woodstock for the screening of the film The Messenger.

The following is from a statement by director Su Rynard.

“Since ancient times we have looked to birds to foretell the future. Changes in the flights or songs of birds can signal the coming of storms, the change of season, or the dawn of a new day. A decline in the numbers or health of birds points to changes in the environment. Now is a critical time for the world’s climate and ecosystems. Birds have something to tell us.

 The Messenger takes viewers on a journey that chronicles the struggle of songbirds worldwide. The stakes are high, yet how do you unravel the story of the mass decline of birds without overwhelming people and making them feel helpless? How do you distill complex science into a story that is accessible and impactful?

We explore the deep human bond we humans have with birds. We explore our complex modern human relationship to the natural world, examining how it is that we humans depend on birds and the work that they do. We come to understand how the fate of the songbird is inextricably linked to our own. The result is a deeply nuanced film. A film that will make you laugh and cry. A film that may change you.”

Distinguished panelists will lead a post-film discussion & answer audience questions:

• David Mears — Executive Director Audubon Vermont

• Jason Hill — Conservation Biologist Vermont Center for Ecostudies

This film is part of the Upper Valley Climate Change & Sustainability Film Series. The film is free and open to all. Donations are welcome.

Marianne Walsh
151 East Camp Hill Road
Weathersfield, VT 05156-9629

802-885-9420

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]