UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2009, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 20:18:29 -0500
This morning and early afternoon under mostly cloudy conditions Ed
Hack and I looked for birds from Lake Runnemede in Windsor north to
Pompy in Norwich.

Highlights included a total of roughly 800 Canada Geese, of which
about half were in Windsor; two other large flocks were in the
Connecticut River south of Ledyard Bridge and in the Pompy area.
Hooded Mergansers and lesser numbers of Common Mergansers were
widespread along the river from Ledyard Bridge north to just south of
Pompy. Mallards were also widespread along the river, and we saw a few
black ducks today. The day was unusual in that waterfowl were seen at
all four stops we made along the river between Ledyard Bridge and
Pompy. In the Pompy area west of route 5, all the ducks we saw were
flying over.

There was still one male Ring-necked Duck at Lake Runnemede this
morning, and Chris Rimmer, Ed,  and I saw a distant female goldeneye
at Ledyard Bridge.

As Spencer and Doug pointed out in their UVB message of earlier today,
the water level in the river today was about the lowest we've ever
seen from Wilder Dam to the north. Also unusual for today, relative to
our other recent days along the river, was duck hunting activity.
Across from Kilowatt Park South in Wilder early this morning there
were life-like decoy Mallards in the river and a hunting blind on the
New Hampshire side.

Other birds of special interest today included a Great Blue Heron seen
to the north from the Ledyard Bridge and an adult Bald Eagle at
Ledyard Bridge and at two other locations well to the north along the
river. An adult Red-tailed Hawk was along I-91 southbound between
Exits 10 and 9. Small numbers of Ring-billed Gulls were seen at Wilder
Dam and Ledyard Bridge. Together with Chris, we saw a flock of 29
Cedar Waxwings at Ledyard Bridge.

The only emberizine sparrows we saw along the river today were two
American Tree Sparrows at Kilowatt Park North in Wilder. (Later,
during the afternoon snowfall, I saw 14 juncos and 5 White-throated
Sparrows in the backyard feeding area here in Norwich village.)

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT