UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2015, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Gail McPeek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gail McPeek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:21:44 -0500
This course may interest many of you.   Sign up information follows the description.

Course 15S604F: John James Audubon
Fridays,  3/27/2015 - 5/22/2015
10:30 AM - 12:30 PM

We are surrounded by the natural and cultural world once explored by the timeless John James Audubon, from his arrival in the United States in 1803 till his death 48 years later. His mission was to catalog the amazing assortment of birds in America in their natural environment before they disappeared. For those who love birds, John James Audubon beautifully captures their form, color and habits through his publications. Because of his efforts in the natural world, the Audubon Society was created and named after him. His exploits and adventures give us a vivid picture of life in the first half of the nineteenth century.

We will get to know the man, his stories, what our country was like for the first 50 years of the 19th century and, especially, explore his artwork! The Rauner Library (which houses Dartmouth’s rare book collections), has invited us to look closely at their Daniel Webster-owned first edition that he bought directly from Audubon, and to hold two classes within the library. Short presentations by class participants during our eight-week exploration are encouraged.

Our text for this course is by Richard Rhodes; John James Audubon: The Making of an American.
*******
CAM RANKIN, BA Biology, University of California, San Diego, is a retired insurance executive. He has enjoyed the privilege of living next to Mink Brook Nature Preserve for the past 25 years. He is an avid OSHER@Dartmouth course attendee and a nature lover, bird lover, and enjoys learning about what life was like in the early years of our great nation. He has read a number of  books on Mr. Audubon, and with the wealth of local resources believes it will be stimulating to teach a course on this remarkable man.

OSHER@Dartmouth
10 Hilton Field Road
Hanover, NH 03755
(603)646-0154