UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2011, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:06:24 -0400
A brief outing this afternoon produced some great birds. 8 waterfowl species
in all, and we missed the Wood Duck.
Two male Greater Scaup at the confluence of the White River were a nice
surprise. Elsewhere we found a few Pine Siskins, Red-winged Blackbirds and
Common Grackles.

Location:     Lyman Point Park - Hartford
Observation date:     3/13/11
Notes:     fast flowing water with lots of loose ice
Number of species:     9

American Black Duck     1
Mallard     4
Greater Scaup     2
Bufflehead     1
Common Goldeneye     15
Hooded Merganser     9
Turkey Vulture     7

Location:     Wilder Dam - outflow overlook
Observation date:     3/13/11
Number of species:     6

goose sp.     1     *Very interesting bird, seen flying south high over the
dam at about 5pm. Canada Goose couldn't be eliminated,
                               but very pale underneath, with darker wings.
Mallard     2
Common Merganser     1
Ring-billed Gull     1
Herring Gull     8

All the gulls were soaring high above the dam, mixed in with the same Turkey
Vultures we saw by the White River. At least nine gulls, one decidedly
smaller and another seen well enough to clinch Herring.

Good Birding,
Spencer