UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2015, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ted Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:26:21 -0400
The Hanover golf course merlins are feeding on juncos and goldfinches. I've been gathering scrapes of feathers and a pellet below their roost trees. I've got my eye on an old crow nest, which is adjacent to their primary roost tree. In a week or so I'll know if they're using it.

Most of the feeding is accomplished in the first hours after sunrise. By the time I arrive, just after seven, the birds are digesting or escorting crows over the 15th fairway. Since golf resumes very soon, my visits will have to be earlier, which ought to reveal hunting, feeding, and incubation exchanges.