UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2012, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:01:51 -0400
Water levels at Pompy Flats were the lowest I've seen them in recent
weeks, just enough to expose some vegetation and very small areas of
mud.  If they continue to drop, migrant shorebirds might finally
appear.  It has been intriguing, but frustrating, to hear all summer
about the Champlain Valley's tremendous shorebird diversity, while
Connecticut River levels have stayed so high!  Only 2 Solitary
Sandpipers were at Pompy at 8:15 am this morning, but levels seemed to
be dropping then.

Ompompanoosuc River flats, Windsor, US-VT
Sep 7, 2012 8:15 AM - 8:30 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     flats slightly exposed
9 species

Wood Duck  1
American Black Duck  2
Mallard  75
Blue-winged Teal  2
Green-winged Teal  12
Bald Eagle  1     adult on flats
Solitary Sandpiper  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
American Crow  8

Campbell Flats was very quiet until I encountered an active migrant
flock in the far SW corner of the corn field, exactly where several of
us found a spectacular flock on Monday morning.  This one was much
smaller, but it didn't move much in the 20 minutes I watched, and many
birds were low, providing great views.  Highlights:

Campbell Flats, Windsor, US-VT
Sep 7, 2012 8:35 AM - 9:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)