UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2012, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2012 11:57:30 -0400
A quick outing this morning (8:00) turned up just one species (Common
Yellowthroat). I had just about given up on the day for migrants, when
a wave of activity hit the yard. 10 warbler species in 10 minutes in
one small willow tree. In the next hour and half, I found 7 more
species, including 2 Cape-Mays, plus a Philadelphia Vireo.

After 10+ falls of birding the area, I still can't come close to
predicting the good mornings.

Spencer Hardy,
Norwich VT

home, Windsor, US-VT
Sep 5, 2012 9:45 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Area
3.0 ac
39 species

Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  2
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  2
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)  1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus [auratus Group])  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  1
Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus)  1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  2

Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)  2
Philadelphia Vireo (Vireo philadelphicus)  1
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  1

Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  4
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  7
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  4
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)  1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  1
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  1

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis)  1
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  2
Tennessee Warbler (Oreothlypis peregrina)  3
Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla)  1
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  1
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  2
Cape May Warbler (Setophaga tigrina)  2
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana)  2
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia)  2
Blackburnian Warbler (Setophaga fusca)  4
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica)  4
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata)  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens)  1
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus)  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) (Setophaga coronata coronata)  3
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens)  6
Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla)  1

Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)  1
Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus)  2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  20