UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2014, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2014 16:06:03 -0400
This morning at Kendall Station Road in Norwich,VT, a small number of
observers, including Ed and Sandy Hack and me, saw a male Scarlet
Tanager with strikingly bright orange coloration on the body in place
of the usual red. The wings were black as usual.

Only once before, some years ago, in summer in Plymouth, VT, have I
seen this unusual orange variant of the Scarlet Tanager.

During the first summer after their hatching year, male Scarlet
Tanagers regularly show a small number of orange tinged feathers but
have a predominately red color.

A few standard field guides, such as by Chandler Robbins and David
Sibley, mention the orange variant, but I've not seen a detailed
report on the source of this unusual coloration.

George Clark
Norwich, VT