UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2014, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
don mccabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
don mccabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2014 15:44:08 -0500
Jason Berard's excellent solution to the apple mystery brings back the Hole-In-The-Snow mystery that I stumbled upon while cross-country skiing across an open field in Norwich. A foot of fresh snow had fallen. There were no tracks anywhere,  just one small hole in the middle of the field. A vole coming up for air, I thought.
 I leaned down for a closer look. Suddenly, and explosive sound, a rush of feathers, and whatever white bird that was under the snow flew right across my face, knocking me back on my heels. No time for identification but the bird left a foot-wide crater and it was white as snow. A visiting ptarmigan?

Don