UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2010, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:14:32 -0400
 The Ruffed Grouse Society of Canada and the US is a strong advocate for
grouse and woodcock conservation. Like Ducks Unlimited, this group has been
able to marshal the voice of hunters to the cause of conservation. Being a
lifelong hunter, bird watcher and conservationist, I recognize the paradox
inherent in pursuing both hunting and protecting. And I stopped shooting
woodcock many years ago. But there is a natural connection that does help
keep some of us closer to nature.

According to the IUCN, woodcock are a "Least Concern" species. According to
The Ruffed Grouse Society, hunting has been ruled out as the reason for
population decline.

It would be good to see some conclusive science cited for the Society's
claim. My personal experience on woodcock seems to suggest loss of habitat.

From their respective web-sites:

The International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources
gives Red List Category & Criteria: "Least Concern" for Scolopax minor,
American Woodcock.

IUCN Justification:
This species has an extremely large range, and hence does not approach the
thresholds for Vulnerable under the range size criterion (Extent of
Occurrence <20,000 km2 combined with a declining or fluctuating range size,
habitat extent/quality, or population size and a small number of locations
or severe fragmentation). Despite the fact that the population trend appears
to be decreasing, the decline is not believed to be sufficiently rapid to
approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under the population trend criterion
(>30% decline over ten years or three generations). The population size has
not been quantified, but it is not believed to approach the thresholds for
Vulnerable under the population size criterion (<10,000 mature individuals
with a continuing decline estimated to be >10% in ten years or three
generations, or with a specified population structure). For these reasons
the species is evaluated as Least Concern.

From the Ruffed Grouse Society of Canada:
About The Woodcock

A small migratory bird, woodcock travel from breeding grounds across
mid-Canada to its wintering grounds in the central United States. With a
primary food source of earthworms, woodcock gradually work their way south
as the ground freezes along its migration route.

Woodcock

Woodcock are typically found in marshy, low-lying areas and along
watercourses where the ground is rich in nutrients and full of earthworms.
Habitat management for woodcock can be similar to that for grouse but the
ground used is often lower and can be immediately adjacent to a marsh in the
long grass where grouse aren't typically found.

This species of birds breeds on its route north in the spring. Open fields
adjacent to prime feeding grounds are used as singing grounds for the males.
The male tries to impress the female with aerial antics climbing and diving
in flight. This can often be observed in open areas near dusk in the spring.

Scientists are somewhat concerned with present woodcock populations as they
are on the decline. A definite cause of this hasn't been found, but hunting
has been ruled out. Habitat loss is the prime suspect.