UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:20:22 -0400
One of my four year olds shouted with glee, "A Black Winged Red Bird!" (aka,
BWRB).  Indeed, a lovely Scarlet Tanager was in one of our crab apple.:-)

Aside from that, the baby Robin is coming up on one week old and growing
rapidly.  When we noticed the nest on an electrical box on the side of the
garage I hooked up a web-cam a few feet away.  With the motion detection
software I've got around 1,500 short clips.

At one point we noticed that the previous four eggs were now only two.  A
quick check of the video record revealed a crow swooping in, eating one and
flying off with another.  The last egg has not hatched.  Unfortunately I've
not been able to get the port-forwarding to work on our router so no viewing
over the internet is available.

It's amazing how compelling the feed can be.  I'm checking them out first
thing in the AM, throughout the day, before bed (infrared image).  The boys
are really interested, too, so it's fun to further their interest in our
avian friends.

John Walker

East Thetford, VT