UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2009, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:43:25 -0400
The highlight of this morning's stop at the Wilder Dam boat ramp was
Kent McFarland's and my discovery of a nesting pair of Merlins.  They're
in one of the large white pines on the NH side of the river.  The birds
were quite vocal and visible, though I hadn't seen them in either of my
previous two visits there in the past week.   The boat access is a good
spot to find them.  I think it's best that the exact location not be
made public for now.

Location:     Wilder Dam - boat ramp
Observation date:     4/10/09
Number of species:     17

Canada Goose     2
Wood Duck     5
Mallard     7
Ring-necked Duck     13
Common Merganser     2
Turkey Vulture     2
Merlin     2
Eastern Phoebe     1
Blue Jay     2
American Crow     4
Black-capped Chickadee     3
Tufted Titmouse     1
Song Sparrow     8
White-throated Sparrow     1
Dark-eyed Junco     2
Northern Cardinal     1
House Finch     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/vt)

A flock of 25 Bohemian Waxwings was feeding in the nearby neighborhood as we left.  Tree Swallows were back at two spots in Norwich.  An American Woodcock was displaying at Huntley Meadows in Norwich last night, at the far end from the Catholic church.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer